Monday, August 12, 2024

IP Cinnamon Red Hot Apple Sauce

 



Ingredients:

6 large apples

1 tbsp Vanilla extract

2.5 ounce box Red Hots candies ( I bought a 5.5 ounce box and used half)

1/4 cup Brown Sugar

1/2 cup apple juice


Directions:

Peel and core the apples. Slice the apples into 6 slices.

Add the apples, vanilla extract, red hot candies, brown sugar, and water to the liner of the Instant Pot.

Set the pressure to high and set a timer for 15 minutes. Let it naturally release for 20 minutes then quick release if needed.

When the pressure has been released, remove the lid and use an immersion blender to blend until smooth.

Set the Instant Pot to sauté and bring the easy Instant Pot apple butter to a simmer. Then turn off the Instant Pot and let the apple butter cool. Sauté again if needed to thicken your apple butter in an Instant Pot.

Let it cool. Store in the fridge or in the freezer

I came upon this idea in a strange way. I joined a pie group on FB. I suck at making crust and Gabe loves apple pie. Figured I would get some hints on how to make a good crust. Will let you know if it happens😉

Someone posted that she adds red hots to her apple pie. Now, that sounded pretty good to me but Gabe said no way, he wants a traditional pie.

Reading the comments, someone mentioned about Red Hots apple sauce- now that's something I would really like. I had few apples hanging out in the bin. I knew they wouldn't be good crisp but fine for the applesauce. Worked out great!

I also adapted the amount of the ingredients to suit my taste. The original recipe called for 15 plus ounces of the red hots. That's A LOT of candy! I subbed apple juice for water they listed and cut the brown sugar to 1/4 cup, they wanted to add 1/2 cup. Next time I'll add less brown sugar.

If you don't have a instant pot you can also make this in a slow cooker. 

Will make this again but next time add a little less candy.

2 comments:

  1. Hi..it is Myra catching up. This sounds like it would be really hot. The color is amazing. You sure do find the most interesting ways to change recipes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't got, just a nice cinnamon taste. I'll make it again. Would make nice Christmas gifts.

      Delete