Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Zucchini Relish

This cookbook was given to me by my friend Paddi. She added notes with comments to recipes she's made and hints.

Many of my huge cookbook collection I'm slowly giving away but this one will be traveling to Florida with us.

Please if you haven't canned follow the Ball Canning Guide.

4-4 1/2 zucchini, chopped
2 medium onion, chopped
1 red pepper, chopped ( used a green pepper)
3 jalapeno peppers,chopped ( my addition, was not in the recipe)
2 tablespoon non-iodized salt
1 3/4 cups sugar
1 cup vinegar( used apple cider vinegar)
2 tablespoon celery seed
2 tablespoon mustard seed

Coarsely grind zucchini, onion and red pepper and jalapeno. I used my Cuisinart to chop. Few short pulses and had the consistency which was perfect for relish.

Add the salt to the zucchini,onion and red pepper in a large bowl and mix well.

Cover and refrigerate over night.

Drain, rinse in cold water, and drain again. 

I used an old white dish towel and squeezed out any liquid that was left in the zucchini.

In a large kettle, combine vegetables  and remaining ingredients.  Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer 10 minutes, stirring frequently. 

Ladle into sterilized pint jars. adjust lids and process in a boiling water bath for 15 minutes.

Makes 4 pints

The person to give credit for this recipe is Ann Harding, Philipsburg  Montana.

LINK on how to water bath for canning



7 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness does that look delicious. I love your addition of the jalapenos too. I wish I was brave enough to can..........and......

    Man how I wish Bob liked relish.............sigh.

    What a great idea Paddi had adding her notes, comments and hints to recipes she likes in that cookbook-which looks like a beauty. Not only is it helpful to know what works for her-it's the personal touch of having her handwriting in the book that makes it that much more special.

    I don't envy you downsizing your cookbook collection, Linda. I've had to do it a few times here and it's tough! All of my cookbooks-and I have a SLEW of them-mean so much to me. When my Mom's collection arrived on top of mine, I knew I had to downsize some of my old ones that I don't use much any more. I copied what I wanted out and said good-bye.

    And I STILL collect them-I can't pass up a cookbook at a book/yard sale.......NO WAY....cookbooks are my passion I guess...or my addiction.

    Sitting with a cookbook in my hands and getting lost in it is my decompression time of the day....and boy do I look forward to it.

    Thanks for that great looking relish recipe, Linda.

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love that Cook Book! It is made up of recipes that were posted in the local papers all around Montana. I know some of the people who submitted recipes and these are the recipes that are from here, how we cook and think. Unfortunately the book is out of print but I have gotten copies from used book stores. I need to try this recipe, I made brined relish last year and ended up tossing it out because it was way to salty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Boy, do I feel like a non cook. I do next to no cooking anymore. Linda, this relish looks so good. I don't eat zucchini, but I am sure this is yummy. Leave it to you to add the peppers...one hot mama you are.

    Carol, I understand your addiction to cookbooks. I used to buy them all the time. Long ago there was a place you could order odd cookbooks, and I used to love ordering them. I remember one of them was called the "Myra Breckenridge" Cookbook. The names of the recipes in there were all so Hollywoodish...if you know what I mean.

    Hey there Paddi....I just love the cookbooks that are made up from the locals in the town. It is so wonderful to make something that is tried and true.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have used zuck relish in my potato salad for years, wouldn't use anything else...this is very similar to my recipe...Everyone, give it a try, you will love it

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never done any canning before. However, this recipe makes me want to give it a try! I love zucchini and this recipe looks delicious.

    ~Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love to can and especially love making relish. I put Depo's Jalapeno relish on just about anything and this recipe is also a keeper.

    Starwood- thanks for stopping by. Next time I make potato salad I'm going to add the relish. Thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Jj, Thanks for the heads up! With your signature I really have to give this relish a try.

    Thanks a bunch

    Janie

    ReplyDelete