Friday, September 7, 2012

Honey Sesame Crockpot Chicken

I saw this recipe and knew I would making it soon. Salsa, from TOHBB posted it a few days ago and it was a sign that now was the time to put those little thighs in the crockpot.I adapted it to suit our taste.

I didn't have enough soy sauce and wasn't a happy camper that I had to run to King Kullen. Best thing about that store, open 24 hours! Went very early in the morning before all the crazies woke up.

I deboned the thighs and used about 8. I also sprayed the crock. With all that honey, I didn't want anything to stick.

Followed the recipe BUT I tasted it before adding the cornstarch. It really needed something. I added about a tablespoon of Hot Chili oil- TA-DA! Just Right!

Served over rice.
 
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (thighs would be fine too)( I used 8 thighs,bedoned and skinless)
Salt and pepper
1 cup honey
1/2 cup soy sauce( next time I'll use low sodium soy)
1/2 cup diced onion
1/4 cup ketchup
2 tablespoons vegetable oil (could also use olive oil or canola oil)( used 1 tablespoon canola and 1 tablespoon sesame oil)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (doesn't really add heat, just adds more flavor)( I added 1 tablespoon hot chile oil)
4 teaspoons cornstarch dissolved in 6 Tablespoons water




Sesame seeds
  1. Season both sides of chicken with lightly with salt and pepper, put into crock pot. In a small bowl, combine honey, soy sauce, onion, ketchup, oil, garlic and pepper flakes. Pour over chicken. Cook on low for 3-4 hours or on high 1 1/2 – 2 1/2 hours, or just until chicken is cooked through. Remove chicken from crock pot, leave sauce. Dissolve 4 teaspoons of cornstarch in 6 tablespoons of water and pour into crock pot. Stir to combine with sauce. Replace lid and cook sauce on high for ten more minutes or until slightly thickened. Cut chicken into bite size pieces, then return to pot and toss with sauce before serving. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve over rice or noodles.
You can also sprinkle more red pepper flakes on top if you want more heat but mine didn't need it due to the hot chili oil.
 
                                                  This was even better the next day cold!
                                             My little fingers were picking away  on it- YUM!


2 comments:

  1. Yum, is right. This sounds right up my alley, or I should say something I would devour. I love these flavors. Gonna copy this one out now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooohhh... this looks delicious! Time to break out the crock pot... yummy! ~ Aurora

    ReplyDelete