Saturday, February 17, 2024

Southern Baked Mac and Cheese

 Maribel invited us to her Valentine painting party. She wanted me to bring Mac and Cheese - always excited to try a new recipe.




Ingredients:


4 cups uncooked pasta

6 Tablespoons butter

6 Tablespoons flour

1 1/2 cups milk

1/2 cup heavy whipping cream

4 cups shredded cheese (I used a blend of two cheeses)

2 teaspoons salt

1/2 teaspoon white pepper

1/2 teaspoon paprika

Directions:

Preheat oven to 325ºF.

Grease a 9” x 13” casserole dish. Set aside.

In a large stockpot, melt the butter over medium heat.

Meanwhile, in a separate pot, prepare the macaroni according to package directions, but cook just under your preferred level of doneness to ensure the mac and cheese doesn't end up overcooked and mushy.

Once the butter is melted, whisk in flour to form a roux (paste). Add the seasoning, to taste.

Whisk in the milk and cream and set heat to medium-high.

Whisk in 3 cups of the cheese and continue whisking as the mixture cooks and thickens.

Drain the pasta but do not rinse.

When the cheese has completely melted into the sauce, pour the sauce over the cooked macaroni.

Fold the macaroni and cheese into the prepared casserole dish.

Top with remaining 1 cup of cheese.

Bake for 25 minutes, or until the cheese on top is browned and completely melted.

Allow the mac and cheese to sit for about 5-10 minutes before serving, so the cheese sauce has time to set up.


3 comments:

  1. This recipe looks so good. Too many ingredients for me, but I know it must have been so good. Mac and cheese is one of my very favorites. Wish I could have flown down and grabbed a plate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not a Mac and Cheese fan but Gabe likes it. Maribel always asks me to make it and I usually make another Mac and Cheese recipe I have on the blog. This recipe was a hit. Would of loved to have made it for you!

      Delete
    2. I would love nothing more than to live near you. If I did, I would probably weigh so much more than I do. You are number 1 when it comes to cooking and baking.

      Delete