Monday, November 20, 2023

Lazarus Restaurant* Broccoli Mushroom Chowder




 Ingredients:

1 pound fresh broccoli

8 oz. fresh mushrooms

8 oz. butter

1 Cup sifted flour

1 quart chicken stock ( I used homemade)

1 quart of half and half ( I used 1 can of evaporated milk, use the rest of whole milk or half and half to get the quart)

1 teaspoon kosher salt

1/8 teaspoon pepper 

1/4 teaspoon tarragon leaves crushed**

Directions:


Clean and cut broccoli into 1/2 " pieces. Steam the broccoli for 5 minutes in 1/2 C. of boiling water until tender. Do not drain, set aside.


Rinse and slice mushrooms


Melt butter in a large heavy bottomed pan over medium heat. Add the flour to make a roux. Cook for 2-4 minutes. Add chicken stock stirring with a wire whisk. Bring to a boil and reduce the heat to low. Add broccoli, mushrooms, half and half, and spices.

Heat but do not boil


** I don't like tarragon and subbed thyme

This was another recipe that the mushrooms I bought were meant for something else. I'm so glad I made this one. It's excellent. Will make again.

Added note: the flowers were pop outs. I was wondering what they were like and Nancy sent them to me for Mothers Day

* copycat recipe


1 comment:

  1. You always seem to find something else to do with the things meant for something else. This shows what a great cook you are. I am not a fan of mushrooms or broccoli, but I am sure it was a great one. I have lots of flower pop outs, they are so nice.

    ReplyDelete