Thursday, October 19, 2023

Applesauce Bars

 



Ingredients:

1/4 cup butter softened


2/3 cup sugar

1  medium egg

1 cup applesauce ( I made my own and left the peel of the apple on. I also did not add sugar)

1 cup all purpose flour

1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice

1 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon salt

For the crumble

1/4 cup brown sugar

2 tablespoon flour

1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

1 tablespoon butter

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray nonstick spray to 8×8 pan.

In a large bowl mix butter, sugar, egg and applesauce. Add flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda and salt and stir until smooth.

Pour mixture into your baking dish and use a spatula to flatten out the top.

Prepare the crumble (directions below) and sprinkle on top.

Put into the oven and bake 28-30 ( mine cooked longer about 45 plus ) minutes . Let cool for 15 minutes before cutting up into 12 brownie bars.

For the crumble topping:

Combine brown sugar, flour and cinnamon in a small bowl. Cut in your butter, a little at a time until it makes a crumbly mixture. I made a double batch, you can never have enough crumble.

You will be seeing more apple recipes in the next few posts.

Mei's daughter traveled to Maryland to see her sister Nancy. Nancy lives near a farm that sells the most delicious apples. 

I sent Susan a text and asked her if she would bring me back some apples. Nancy told her which apples Mei and I liked and Susan was kind enough to get them.

The apples are huge, they are grapefruit size!!

Note: I had to try it before I gave it away. It was good! I gave half to the girls at the gym and the other half to my hairdresser Brittney. They both really liked it.👍👍👍👍👍

3 comments:

  1. I need to get some pumpkin pie spice so I can try these

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elaine- I make it up and add to a small jar
      3 Tablespoons ground cinnamon
      2 teaspoons ground ginger
      1 and 1/2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
      1 teaspoon ground cloves
      1 teaspoon (2g) ground allspice ( I didn't have allspice and plus I don't like it so I didn't add it)

      Delete
    2. My goodness Linda.....you really should open a bakery. This looks so good. I can't imagine apples being so big. You are amazing making your own applesauce. I will have to try this....only making my own applesauce won't happen. As for the crumble, I will probably eat it all. Yummy.

      Delete