Tuesday, August 1, 2023

July Books


The Door to Door Bookstore Salesman-If you enjoy stories about books and about found family, then this book is for you! Translated from the German, this is a tale of Carl Kollhoff, a seventy-something man who delivers books for City Gate Bookshop. He has a regular route of people who, for one reason or another, don't leave their homes to purchase the books. Carl is a bit of a loner, and when nine-year old Schascha befriends him and begins to accompany him on his route, Carl's world and the world of those he delivers to gets a bit wider and brighter.

This is a beautiful novel about the power of books and friendship to change and impact lives. I smiled so many times while reading this book and grew to care for the characters. I was rooting for them to have positive outcomes and loved how Carl and Schascha were able to connect them despite obstacles in the way. I adored how much Carl cared about books and connecting them with the right readers.

War Doctor: Surgery on the Front Line--David Nott has written a compassionate story of his years as a volunteer surgeon working in hospitals around the world in war torn areas in Afghanistan, Sarajevo, Sierra Leone, Liberia, Sudan, Darfur, Yemen and Gaza. Operating in poorly equipped hospitals with the most basic of instrumentsWar Doctor is a fascinating and humbling account of a doctor’s life in a war zone. Written with real compassion for all humankind. David Nott is a true humanitarian

2 comments:

  1. The Door to Door Book Salesman reminds me of the Bookwoman Stories. Not the same thing, but I just know I would love this book. Going to have to find it and read. I also think I would like the War Doctor. You give me so many books to put on my must read list. Thank you !!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS. Thanks for the butterflies in the July Books gif.

      Delete