Sunday, October 23, 2022

Reddits VIRAL - Big Mama's Secret Cinnamon Roll Cake **




From the original poster- This is a cake my grandmother “Big Mama” used to make. The basic cake part is what she used for all of her homemade poke cakes. She used white sugar for icing but I like the powdered better and I upped the cinnamon from 1 T to 4. She would make the cake and sometimes add a sliced banana or two on top then add the icing for a “banana cake”. It’s so good! Or she would make a warm chocolate glaze with Hershey’s cocoa powder and pour on top for chocolate cake. She and my Big Daddy raised 5 children during the depression and WW2. They had a farm and she could make delicious meals from seemingly nothing. She would make half of the cake recipe and make a one layer round cake in her later years.



Ingredients:


2 cups self rising flour


4 eggs


1/2 cup crisco


1 and 1/2 cup granulated sugar


1 cup milk or buttermilk or a mix of both


2 teaspoons vanilla


Beat sugar and crisco, add eggs and beat. Add flour and milk and vanilla and beat 1-2 minutes. Spread 1/2 of this into a greased and floured 9x13 pan.


Filling


1/2 c brown sugar


4 teaspoons cinnamon ( many posters used 4 Tablespoons but that was kinda overkill to me)


Sprinkle evenly on cake Pour and spread the rest of the batter on the filling. Swirl with a knife


Bake at 350 for 30 to maybe 45 minutes- recipes said 30 but mine wasn't done so left it in for another 15 till tooth pick came out clean.


Icing


2 c powered sugar


3 T butter


1/4 c milk


2 teaspoons vanilla


Heat milk and butter, add sugar and vanilla. Poke holes in the cake. Pour over warm cake. ( it was noted that this cake is VERY sweet- I made the above icing but only used half to top the cake- it was sweet but not overly)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If you don’t have self-rising flour you can make your own:


SELF-RISING FLOUR:

2 c. flour

1 T. baking powder

1/2 t. salt

Whisk together well

I saw this recipe and wanted to make it but a 9x13 makes a pretty big cake. Gabe doesn't eat sweets, he might have a slice. I sure don't need the  extra calories. I told Gabe all about it and how it was getting so much buzz. I needed to do a Walmart run to pick up buttermilk. I know I can make my own but I wasted to stay true to the recipe. The only sub I made was using butter flavor crisco. Gabe liked it and I gave a slice to Sharon and Don. The rest is going to the gym! I liked it and need to get it out of the house- LOL. ALL reviews in today from everyone I gave it to- LOVED IT and want MORE!!!!!


** If you’re gluten free:


Use a one to one replacement flour and 4 tablespoons of baking powder.


Sift the flour—or it will be stodgy.


Drop the temp by 25 degrees and cook for 15 minutes longer.


Use Crisco.

3 comments:

  1. I love POKE cakes. Never saw one like this tho. I bet it was so good. Will have to keep this handy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This recipe is good. You know I'm more of a cookie girl but this recipe was getting so much attention with positive reviews. It would be great for your family-it's makes a lot. Good thing the girls at the gym love the stuff I bring in. Tomorrow they will get most of it!

      Delete
    2. I am going to have to try this one. I love cinnamon.

      Delete