Wednesday, October 27, 2021

Phyl Cramer's Apple Enigma

  This recipe was from 1958


I mixed the egg with the sugar first. Then added the dry ingredients. Then folded in the apples pieces.


I used white sugar. Used the  smallest casserole dish I had . Spray dish with non stick coating.  Used a fuji apple, and would definitely recommend!


It was beyond easy to make this recipe ( Myra and Rita- take note- LOL). Took me about 4 minutes to put it into the oven. The longest part was the baking - it said to bake for 40 minutes, but it was done after 35 minutes.




Overall, a very tasty apple cake(?). The crisp top kind of tastes like meringue - very light and airy. Definitely recommend if you want an easy dessert!



Also, I looked up Phyl Cramer (whose recipe this is) and her obituary said that she was known for her apple desserts. Kind of cool to share recipes that were loved and by ladies who loved to bake and now will sort of be remembered.

 A young lady found this book of collected 1950s recipes at an estate sale. In the book were recipes sent and made by the owner of the book. It’s interesting how people exchanged recipes in letters. I love sharing old recipes like this.

6 comments:

  1. This sounds amazing. I LOVE recipes that have been written by people. How wonderful is it to find a recipe that was written by a relative Years and Years ago. Seeing their handwriting is so heartwarming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We both really liked it! It's so darn easy to make which is great!

      Delete
  2. I almost didn't open this today, as our movers are coming today for the big haul. So glad I did! O love Fuji apples too. Very cool find, the collection book of recipes. Thanks, Linda!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for taking a quick peek to see what I posted. I thought of you and Myra right away. You can always cut the sugar down and use and kind of apple.

      Take care my friend.

      Delete
  3. This gave me a strange feeling .I bet this Lady would be so pleased to know how many people has her recipe. I'm sure when she wrote it out on this paper she never thought it would travel for so many years. I would love to make this. Thank you Linda.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you can use the sugar substitute. It's so easy to make and we both liked it.

      So many wonderful things are lost now and I was lucky to find this one. I found it on Reddit. There is an section called "old Recipes". Most are not old but this one grabbed me.

      Hope you guys like it.

      Delete