Friday, June 11, 2021

Slow Cooker Caramelized Onions

 



Ingredients:

4 tbsp. To 5 Tablespoons Butter

4 lb. To 5 Pounds Yellow Onions

2 tbsp. Worcestershire Sauce

1 tbsp. Kosher Salt

1/4 tsp. Ground Black Pepper

2 tbsp. Brown Sugar 


Directions:

Turn a large 6-quart slow cooker on low heat. Add butter to the slow cooker and let it melt.


Meanwhile, peel the onions. Slice each onion into ½-inch wedges. Add sliced onions into the crock and add the Worcestershire sauce. Season with 1 tablespoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper and the brown sugar .


Cover and slow cook the onions for 12–14 hours. Stir once or twice ( I started this at 7 pm so no stirring).


Once the onions are dark, soft, and sweet, cool to room temperature. 



These came out good. 

Note: I cooked a few chicken breast, added the caramelized onion and topped with Swiss cheese. Gabe liked it.

5 comments:

  1. WOW WOW WOW !!!!! This one has me putting onions on my shopping list right this minute. Love caramelized onions, and what you did with them sounds sooooo good. Thanks for making my mouth water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are going to laugh- you know how much I love grocery stores. The onions were a BOGO. Since it's so hot now they weren't going to last long so I found this recipe and wanted to give it a try. It's a make again.

      BTW- My post aren't going to come in your email much longer. Google is dumping the service that sends out updates.

      Delete
    2. Yep, I know how you love grocery stores. Now that I moved, I have found a Liadl. They have some great buys. I bought my onions in there to make this.

      Delete
  2. I don't usually get emails, I just log on to the blog....so no worries about losing me.
    I did make this the other day. Don't know why, but my onions didn't come out as dark as yours did. Maybe my crockpot was too small, and I had too much liquid. They were good tho, and I ate some the other night. Next time, I might just cook them in a pan on the stove. My crock pot is not a large one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I have a large crockpot. I used them in lots of recipes. Added to salads and just about anything else I could think of putting them in.

      Never heard of Liadl. Is it like Aldi?

      Delete