Thursday, September 10, 2020

Reddit's Murder Cookies





 Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups sugar

1 cup shortening

1/2 cup molasses

1 egg

3 1/2 cups flour

1 teaspoon salt

2 1/2 teaspoons baking soda

1 teaspoons cinnamon

1 teaspoon mace

1/4 cup milk


Directions:

Cream shortening and sugar. Add molasses and egg. Sift in dry ingredients- stir and then add milk

Drop by tablespoon onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.Press cookies down with a glass that has a floured bottom.

I cooked them at 350 for 12 to 14 minutes.


Leave the cookies on cookie sheets for about 5 minutes before removing to a rack.


Recipe from Reddit.


What are murder cookies, and why are they so named? The reality is not terribly morbid; they’re murder-related only by distant association. The short story is this: A Reddit user @NearKilroy was researching a murder that happened in her house many years ago. While hunting down its history she says she “fell down a rabbit hole” of local research, and discovered that a neighbor at the time had worked in a bakery making these cookies which were named their “recipe of the year.”


The cookies are very straightforward and simple: Cream sugar and shortening together with molasses, then beat in flour and spices (I substituted a mix of nutmeg and cinnamon for the mace). The dough is thick and sticky, and you drop it by spoonfuls and then press them into rounds with the bottom of a glass. I baked at 350 for about 12 minutes .


Personal note- last batch of cookies I made in my oven, need to buy another one. Maybe they murdered the oven- LOL 😉

2 comments:

  1. What an interesting story and name for a cookie. Sure does get your attention. I don't think I would use mace either. Nutmeg and cinnamon sound much more to my liking. I will have to try this when I decide to light my oven again. Much too hot and humid now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Got my new oven! Should I make these again? They were good and Mey's hubby liked them.

      Delete