Friday, October 12, 2018

Florida Cranberry Relish (AKA Jamaican Sorrel Relish)





I was given a few calyx from a friends roselle plant . The calyx are the red part of the flower which you use to make the tea and relish.

I started 8 seeds in February. They all came up and as soon as the frost passed I put the seedlings out.

They grew to over 6 feet tall and produced beautiful light pink flowers.  From that I have tons of calyx! 

 Ae-yun ( my friend who owns the Korean store in town) is selling roselle popping pearls tea. It's fantastic.

I made tea but have so many calyx's I looked for a recipe that we might like. Florida cranberry relish fit the bill.

Ingredients:

1 1/2 c. orange or apple juice ( used apple)
1 1/3 c. sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
a couple of dashes of ground cloves
24 oz. Florida cranberries (chopped up fine- I used my food processor and pulsed a few times. If not chopped fine or relish will be stringy) 
1 c. raisins (golden or ordinary)- used ordinary

1 c. chopped pecans- didn't use

Directions:

In a saucepan, combine juice, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently until sugar is dissolved. Add Florida cranberries and raisins, bring to a boil.

Reduce heat, simmer 3-4 minutes.

Remove from heat. Chill for several hours.


Note: I'm making this recipe for the Live Oak Library. I'll be presenting the program the last Thursday in November. 




No comments:

Post a Comment