Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Eggplant, Tomato and Chickpea Stew

I am a huge PBS fan, love the shows and now that we are in Florida I have a PBS radio station on in the car. 

This recipe is from PBS FOOD. I adapted it slightly to our taste.

Ingredients:

2 eggplants - cut into 1 inch cubes
extra virgin olive oil
kosher salt ( didn't use)
3 cloves garlic- crushed
1 pound tomatoes -skinned and chopped ( used 1 10oz can  Rotel and 12 oz can drained chopped tomatoes)
4 tsp. sugar (didn't add)
black pepper to taste ( slap ya mama to taste)
1 14 oz can chick peas-drained and rinsed
1 1/2 tablespoon pomegranate molasses ( never heard of pomegranate molasses and used regular molasses)
2 tablespoons flat leaf parsley - chopped ( didn't use)
3 Pork Boudin sausages *

directions:

Pan fry the eggplant cubes in a small amount of olive oil until golden and drain on a paper towel to absorb the excess oil

In the same saucepan, fry the garlic with a small amount of oil. I added the pork boudin and cooked them with the tomatoes.

Add the sugar, salt and pepper and cook for 15 minutes.

Add chickpeas, molasses and eggplant to the above mixture and simmer for 20 minutes. Sprinkle with parsley.

* every Christmas Gregory gives Gabe a gift package from Cajun Grocer. We had pork boudin and Alligator burger patties left. The pork I used in this recipe which was very good and I used the alligator burgers the following day.

Gabe is also a potato chip connoisseur, my man loves his spuds. He loved Charles chips, then we couldn't get them in our area. The Vermont Country store carries them but Gregory introduced Zaps to his Dad and the rest is history.

 The package from Cajun Grocer includes meats and two  boxes of potato chips!












1 comment:

  1. Alligator burgers huh? That's a new one on me! What's in the sausage to make them different? I remember Justin Wilson on PBS.....he cooked some interesting dishes that's for sure. He just made me laugh.

    My Mom always watched the cooking shows on PBS every Saturday morning...........

    Got a smile about Gabe and his potato chips :) -sounds like Bob and pizza! That man knows his pizza that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete