A week before we left Florida Hitchcock's had potatoes on sale- 10 pounds for 2.99. I thought about it and wondered if I could sneak them in the truck for the ride home. Well, I really thought I was going to get one of those " we don't HAVE potatoes at home" speeches but you know there's always room for his favorite.
The recipe came from one of my local community cookbooks. Elizabeth Doll was the poster and was known as a excellent cook.
2 pounds potatoes, peeled and diced
1/2 cup onion, chopped
2 cups Velveeta cheese, cut into small cubes
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 can (10.5-ounce) cream of chicken soup( used low salt soup)
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 pint sour cream
1 teaspoon salt( used 1/4 tsp.)
2 cups corn flakes, crushed
1/4 cup butter, melted
- Cook the potatoes until almost soft. Drain.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix together the onion, Velveeta cheese, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, cream of chicken soup, ½ cup butter, sour cream and salt
- Add to the potatoes and pour mixture into a buttered baking dish.
- Mix together the corn flakes, 1/4 teaspoon of pepper, 1/4 cup of melted butter and cover the mixture.
- Bake uncovered at 350 degrees F for 45 minutes.