Quinoa is a ancient grain. It's a cousin of Amaranth. It was one of the staple foods of the Incas. Has the highest % of protein of all the grains. Has more calcium than milk and it's a great source of iron,vitamin A and E.
You want to rinse the quinoa in a strainer to get rid of the bitter saponins,then cook 1 cup in about 2 cups water for about 15-20 mins.I like to cook mine in chicken broth.
The recipe is adapted from Jenny Sugar
1 cup uncooked quinoa
2 large eggs
1 cup chopped onions
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
2 teaspoon minced garlic
1/2 cup fresh basil, chopped or 2 tablespoons dried
1/2 cup Cherry Tomatoes, diced(didn't use)
1/2 teaspoon salt(didn't use)
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon dried oregano(subbed Italian seasoning)
Pizza sauce for dipping
- Place the quinoa and two cups of water(I cooked mine in chicken broth) in a covered pot. Bring to boil and then simmer for 20 minutes or until quinoa is tender.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix together all ingredients, except pizza sauce, in a medium mixing bowl.
- Distribute mixture into a greased mini muffin tin, filling each cup to the top (one heaping tablespoon each), and press down gently to compact.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from the pan. Serve warm with sauce for dipping.