Recently I bought a bottle of Jack Daniels that was on sale. The lady asked me if I wanted glasses also. I asked was that part of the deal since the Jack was on sale. She gave me two nice glasses that I can sip my drink and light bulb moment! I can make her some bars!
This recipe was adapted and next time I know to buy more cream cheese. I gave a slice to my "no I don't like sweets" hubby and he liked it. I had to get it out of the house before I ate the whole pan!
1 box lemon cake mix (15.25oz)
1/3 cup butter or margarine - softened
8 ounces cream cheese - softened
1 cup powdered sugar
1/2 lemon - grated
2 tablespoons lemon juice or 1/2 fresh squeezed lemon
1 teaspoon vanilla
- In a mixing bowl, blend dry cake mix, butter, and 1 egg.
- Press into a 9 x 13 pan, ungreased.( I sprayed the pan, didn't want to take any chances)
- Beat the cream cheese until smooth.
- Gradually blend in the powdered sugar.
- Stir in lemon peel and lemon juice until smooth.
- Reserve 1/2 cup of this mixture and refrigerate it for later use.( I didn't think there was enough so I didn't refrigerate the half, spread the whole 8oz with the eggs and vanilla onto the cakemix base. I also don't think I would use vanilla next time, I'll try lemon extract)
- Beat the remaining 2 eggs, add the vanilla, and then beat this mixture into the remaining cream cheese mixture until well blended.
- Spread over the cake mixture.
- Bake at 350° until set, approximately 25 to 30 minutes.
- Cool completely.
- Spread the reserved cream cheese mixture onto the bars.( next time I'll take 8oz of the cream cheese and powdered sugar and spread that on top) refrigerate until firm; then cut into squares and serve