Thursday, December 6, 2012

Cream Cheese Lemon Bars

Peaking around Susan's boards I saw THIS recipe. I love lemon and when I'm home I usually try quite a few recipes because Rita and Lewis love lemon also and I give most of what I've baked to them. Down here I have to look for people to bake for.

Recently I bought a bottle of Jack Daniels that was on sale. The lady asked me if I wanted glasses also. I asked was that part of the deal since the Jack was on sale. She gave me two nice glasses that I can sip my drink and light bulb moment! I can make her some bars!

This recipe was adapted and next time I know to buy more cream cheese. I gave a slice to my "no I don't like sweets" hubby and he liked it. I had to get it out of the house before I ate the whole pan!
 

1 box lemon cake mix (15.25oz)
1/3 cup butter or margarine - softened
1 egg
8 ounces cream cheese - softened
1 cup powdered sugar
1/2 lemon - grated
2 tablespoons lemon juice or 1/2 fresh squeezed lemon
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla





  1. In a mixing bowl, blend dry cake mix, butter, and 1 egg.
  2. Press into a 9 x 13 pan, ungreased.( I sprayed the pan, didn't want to take any chances)
  3. Beat the cream cheese until smooth.
  4. Gradually blend in the powdered sugar.
  5. Stir in lemon peel and lemon juice until smooth.
  6. Reserve 1/2 cup of this mixture and refrigerate it for later use.( I didn't think there was enough so I didn't refrigerate the half, spread the whole 8oz with the eggs and vanilla onto the cakemix base. I also don't think I would use vanilla next time, I'll try lemon extract)
  7. Beat the remaining 2 eggs, add the vanilla, and then beat this mixture into the remaining cream cheese mixture until well blended.
  8. Spread over the cake mixture.
  9. Bake at 350° until set, approximately 25 to 30 minutes.
  10. Cool completely.
  11. Spread the reserved cream cheese mixture onto the bars.( next time I'll take 8oz of the cream cheese and powdered sugar and spread that on top)  refrigerate until firm; then cut into squares and serve





1 comment:

  1. This sounds so good. Wish I didn't have to watch what I eat, or I would make them today. It is so good how you give your little hints in the recipe..tried and true, is what I like.

    ReplyDelete