Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Sour Cream Meatloaf and Gravy

Divingabe bought some ground meat because he wanted a burger. We had about a pound left over and Paulette's recipe came up on my TOH recipe thread and the reviews were fabulous. Meatloaf was on the menu!

Janie also made the meatloaf the same day and passed along her tweaks, which like when Merrill Lynch speaks-  you listen.

I only used 1 egg and I love panko and it's a given that it will be in any recipe I make. The only Dijon mustard I had was honey-Dijon so in it went.

I also chilled it for about two hours. I formed it and baked on a rack. I was concern that it was "pale" so I put the broiler on to give it a tan.

Didn't make the gravy. I served it with mashed potatoes and peas.

Thank you Paulette for a delicious Sunday dinner!
 
2 Eggs
1 8 oz Sour Cream DIVIDED
1/4 cup Milk
1/2 cup Dry Bread Crumbs (I ground up Sage & Onion Stuffing cubes)
1/4 cup Finely chopped onion
2 Tbsp Parsley
1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 Tbsp Dijon-style Mustard
1/4 tsp Salt
1/4 tsp Pepper
1-1/2 lbs Lean Ground Beef
1 pkt Brown Gravy Mix

In a large bowl combine eggs, 1/2 cup of the sour cream & milk. Stir in the bread crumbs, onion, parsley, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, salt & pepper. Add beef and mix thoroughly.
 
•Pat into a 9x5x3-inch loaf pan. Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 1-1/4 hours or until meat thermometer registers 170 degrees.

•Gravy:

•Stir together remaining sour cream with the packet of gravy mix. Add the amount of water as directed on the package. Cook according to package directions. Pass with meatloaf. Yield: serves 6.

3 comments:

  1. This sounds really good. I usually make the same meatloaf all the time, since it is tried and true. I like the sour cream addition. Maybe this will be a new favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jj, I was wondering how you liked it. Your's looks much better. Mine looked quite anemic, but was very moist. The sour cream really lightened up the meat mixture. Sometimes meat loafs can be heavy.

    Next time I am going to add some grated carrots to the meat mixture and will try Ricotta cheese instead of the sour cream.

    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Janie, I "browned" it under the broiler, it was way to pale! Like I said I didn't make the gravy. I put salsa con queso on top!

    ReplyDelete