Sunday, October 20, 2019
Check out the recipe in the source below. This is originally called "pickled" roselle. The recipe was way to sweet for me so I cut down on the sugar
1 cup fresh roselle (after separate from the central seedpod)
8 teaspoons lemon juice
3/4 cups sugar
1. Make a cut at bottom of seedpod. Push seed out and keep the red fleshy calyx (try keep whole calyx).
2. Wash the red fleshy calyx till clean.
3. Bring a pot of water to boil. Add in clean red fleshy calyx and blanch for about 5-6 seconds. Remove and drain. Leave aside to cool.
*Important not to blanch too long as it will lost the crunchiness of the pickled roselle and the color won't be a bright.
4. In a mixing bowl, add in cool calyx together with lemon juice and 3/4 cup sugar. Mix gently to combine.
5. Prepare a clean jar. Add in mixture of calyx.
6. Close the lid and leave the jar at room temperature for 3 days before refrigerate.
*turn over the jar each day to ensure all the calyx is fully covered with sugar syrup.