Saturday, September 14, 2019

A radiator in a Victorian house with a built in plate warmer

These would be found in a butler's pantry or tearoom; the scullery had plenty of other ways to keep dishes (post-plating) warm. But after coming up the dumbwaiter, the more "front of house" serving staff was expected to keep food presentable and to distribute it as quickly as possible according to social norms (ladies first,guests,men by status (title-age)-host.) Typical temperature of 170 to 200 F, and totally benign heat that will not add or subtract moisture.

They are now used to proof dough.


9 comments:

  1. Wow I remember having a radiator in an apartment I lived in..My Brother had one in a house he owned..He got rid of it and put floor heaters in..I would have loved to have this one..I wonder how much that would be worth today? It would be so nice to go to an antique show and see if there is any displayed..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it beautiful? They sure made things that lasted!

      Delete
  2. This is awesome. I have radiators in my house. Like those, but not with the food warmers. Would love one of them in the kitchen. All my radiators have covers on them so you can't see the actual radiator. I bet those are worth some money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We never had radiators in any of our house. My grandmother did and I loved hearing the water heat up in them.

      My grandmother had covers on the top of her radiators, but rest was open.

      I wonder if it still works?

      Delete
    2. This is a great idea. I found out, that my house has a hole in the floor of the closet in the bathroom to throw dirty clothes to the basement. Never knew about this til recently. In the old days, people sure had great ideas.

      Delete
  3. I've never seen a radiator with a food warmer before. What an ingenious idea!!! Wish I had one, too! Thank you, Linda, for sharing this interesting info & photo with us!!! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought of Downton Abbey! This is something they would of used.

      Delete
  4. Well, how cool is that?! I have never seen one of those, thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rita- I had to add the photo. I knew you would like it.

    Hope you had a good summer.

    ReplyDelete