Friday, April 30, 2021

BECKY’S SUGAR COOKIES

The Story Of
BECKY’S SUGAR COOKIES
Rebecca Griffis, Euless, TX

While growing up in Columbia, Missouri in the 1950s and 1960s, I stayed very close by the side of my maternal grandmother, Pearl George. Since Grandma was a marvelous cook who was always on the look-out for new recipes, hanging out with Grandma was a culinary adventure. More than once I was caught in the crossfire of a recipe exchange between Grandma and whomever she struck up a conversation with about cooking. One of my grandmother’s most earnest quests, though, was for a recipe for, “a real good, soft sugar cookie”.
After Grandma passed away in 1974, Grandpa gave me a great portion of Grandma’s recipe collection, which I brought home to Texas. I’m ashamed to say that the box of wonderful, home-style-history papers sat in my garage for many-a-moon, waiting…quietly…patiently, to reveal to Grandma’s Girl its hidden treasures. I really don’t recall the occasion for finally deciding to “twiddle out” (as Grandma would say) those old recipes, but when I finally did, just simply handling the old, worn documents caused happy childhood memories to sweep through my mind and soul. Suddenly, the sweet aromas of Grandma’s kitchen filled my senses, along with a vivid picture of my loved one cooking for her family. I was transported to a place of childhood pleasures, thanks to hundreds and hundreds of wonderful old recipes! Certain types of recipes began to show up time and time again, though, and you guessed it; they were for variations of soft sugar cookies. Grandma’s passion was gently revealed by the old, yellowed sugar cookie recipes clipped from local newspapers and publications, sugar cookie recipes written in Grandma’s own handwriting, (sometimes in ink, sometimes in pencil) on odd-sized scrap paper, sugar cookie recipes written on note paper in someone else’s handwriting, and sugar cookie recipes written on recipe cards. Did Grandma ever find the perfect sugar cookie recipe? I doubt it, but the sheer volume of cookie recipes promising culinary perfection kept Grandma in the kitchen and kept a hopeful twinkle in her eye.
The memory of hearing Grandma’s voice inquiring about a recipe for “a real good, soft sugar cookie” has led me to create “Becky’s Sugar Cookies”. My husband and two strapping sons think these cookies are addictive, and they are! But, nothing is quite as satisfying as knowing that without a doubt, Grandma is looking down from heaven with a satisfied twinkle in her eye.

EASE OF PREP: One bowl
Uses oil (easy to digest)
No shortening or butter
Ungreased baking sheets
HIGH NUTRITION: Contains Wheat Germ and Oat bran
PLEASING APPEARANCE: Crinkled tops
VERSATILITY: Roll in a cinnamon / sugar mixture or plain white or brown sugar, Top with colored sprinkles or Drizzle with icing, any flavor
SIMPLE INGREDIENTS: Inexpensive and readily available
PERFECT TEXTURE: Slightly crisp outside, Soft and chewy inside

BECKY’S SUGAR COOKIES*
An Original Recipe by Rebecca Griffis ( printed with permission)

Blend together:
1 1/3 cups sugar
2/3 cup canola oil
2 eggs
¼ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoons vanilla 
(or 1 t. vanilla + 1 t. butter & nut flavoring)

Blend in:
2 cup un-sifted plain flour
¼ cup wheat germ 
¼ cup oat bran 
(use 3 cups un-sifted flour if you want to 
omit wheat germ & oat bran)

Shape into 1”- 1 ¼” balls, roll in sugar and cinnamon 
mixture, and place on ungreased cookie sheets. 
Bake at 350* for about 10 minutes. 
(Cookies will be puffed, and slightly golden). 
Yield: 1 ½ dozen.


Note- I used just flour. I didn't have wheat germ. 

First day back at Christin Service Center  volunteering. Wanted to bring something sweet to snack on.

4 comments:

  1. What a beautiful Story of Becky and her Dear Grandmother. I am so happy She decided to look at those treasures her Grandmother left her. Those Sugar Cookies will live on in the lives of those who have seen her story and made those cookies . I wish I could make some of those Sugar Cookies but Sugar is not on my menu and I don't think there is any substitute for Sugar that would make them as Grandma made them..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also love stories like this. Can you imagine all the sugar cookies she made?

      Delete
  2. I also loved this story of Becky and her Grandmother. She must have made dozens and dozens of sugar cookies before finding the perfect one. I love creating memories with my grandkids. Some of my recipes are not great, but we have lotsa laughs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. but everything you make with the kids will always have memories.

      Delete