Friday, March 29, 2013

Strawberry Lemonade Concentrate & Dehydrated Strawberries


There was a recipe on pinterest and the photo of the dehydrated strawberries looked like I could eat handfuls of them. Mine looks nothing like that photo but they were good.

Would I make them again. No. They were good but the time it took to achieve the finish product wasn't worth it.

If you want to try dehydrating strawberries check this out.

                                                               Strawberry Lemonade Concentrate


Divingabe has a friend whose lemon tree had an abundant crop and gave Gabe quite a few.

Since I didn't want to bake I had to find another use for the lemon juice.

I had strawberries which I picked up at Hitchcock's. I wanted to make jam but didn't have vanilla beans and the berries were waiting to jump into a recipe.

 
3 cups hulled strawberries
2 cups freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 cups granulated sugar

  1. Prepare canner, jars and lids.
  2. In a blender or a food processor fitted with a metal blade, working in batches, puree strawberries until smooth. Add Lemon juice, which I strained and the sugar. Transfer to a large stainless steel saucepan as completed. Heat to 190F over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally. Do not boil. Remove from heat and skim off foam.
  3. Ladle hot concentrate into hot jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Wipe rim. Center lid on jar. Screw band down until resistance is met, then increase to fingertip-tight.
  4. Place jars in canner, ensuring they are completely covered with water. Bring to a boil and process for 15 minutes. Remove canner lid. Wait 5 minutes, then remove jars, cool and store

There was a recipe that was "hot" on one of the canning sites. I went back and found it and adapted from this site.







 

3 comments:

  1. I don't think I've ever dehydrated anything-deliberately.......I have wondered about doing strawberries. I know the time it takes and don't know if I have the patience.

    That Strawberry Lemonade Concentrate looks SO good. I've gotta get over my fear of canning and water bathing jars-I picked up a big blue canner at last year's church flea market with very good intentions.

    Linda-come to MA and get me kick started this summer when my garden is busting open, OK? :)

    Thanks for sharing the recipes!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linda, That look beautiful ! just look at that color ~ It Sings !

    The dehydrated ones look wonderful. My dil does cherry Tomatoes and they are delicious.

    Thanks bunches

    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't eat strawberries, but dried cherry tomatoes sound so good. I love sun dried tomatoes. I agree that the color of the Concentrate is beautiful....I bet that would be a big hit at farmer's markets

    ReplyDelete