Saturday, August 4, 2012

Jalapeno Jelly

I have been making this jelly for over 20 years. It was my first canning experience and I love looking for new recipes to try.
Divingabe's friend Ted loves MT. Dew. I saw a recipe for Mt. Dew jelly that he might like and will give it a try when we go back to Gregory's.

My original recipe is at Gregory's house and this one is pretty close to the original one. It's very, very easy and if you have never canned before it's a great recipe to start with.

3/4 lb jalapenos ( I used habaneros also)
2 cups apple cider vinegar
6 cups sugar
2 pouches liquid pectin
Few drops of food coloring-red or green

Wash,seed,core the peppers.Wear plastic gloves then you cut up the peppers. Once you cut up the peppers puree in food processor or blender with one cup of the vinegar. Pour into a med. sized pot. Add the additional vinegar,and sugar and bring to a boil while stirring. Allow to boil for 10 min, constantly stirring. Add pectin and and bring it to a rolling boil for 1 min.
Remove from heat and skim if needed. Add the food coloring now if you want it.

Add the jelly into clean, hot jars, leaving 1/4 head space. Wipe the rim of the jar and seal with lid. Place on band and water bath for 10 min or the amount of time for your size jar.
Remove, cool and store. How to water bath for canning



1 comment:

  1. This jelly is so so so so good. I love it ! I am not one to do canning, but since lagar sent me a jar of this, I have been putting it on everything. If you like a little hot and sweet on your food, you will LOVE this.

    ReplyDelete