Wednesday, November 6, 2019

Mey's Papaya Salad






I never bought a papaya. I had papaya juice a few times but this fruit has never been on my  to buy list .

Mey buys papaya quite often and a few years ago planted some seeds from one. Quite a few came up but one thrived. It's over 8 foot and is full of fruit..

I was surprised that the papaya was white inside, I thought they had to be pink inside to eat . Nope. Mey likes to use the unripe ones for the salad. I wasn't sure how it would taste but I'm always game to try something new. It's delicious! 

Ingredients:

1 large unripe papaya
1 clove garlic
haberano pepper ( add to taste)
salt
sugar
peanuts
Lemon juice
tomatoes

I didn't add the amounts to the above because it depends in the size of the papaya and how much of it you use. There is no recipe for this- I watched Mey make  it.


Directions:

Peel papaya, wash and dry with paper towel. 

Cut in quarters to make it easier to grate.

Grate papaya with box grater.

Add grated papaya to dish and sprinkle with salt and sugar to taste.

Crush garlic then peanuts in mortar.

Add papaya to a  mortar - use the pastel to crush it into the garlic and peanuts. Add tomato and haberano and repeat  until tomatoes and pepper are crushed.

Squeeze 1/2 lemon over mixture.

Remove from mortar and plate.

A very different recipe that I know I'll be making again.

No comments:

Post a Comment