Tuesday, February 23, 2016
Avocado Chocolate Chip Cookies
The seniors at the Life Enrichment Center were having a Valentine party. I wanted to make something different for them and Lou couldn't wait to take a bite! ( photo below).
I can't say this is super healthy. It contains a lot of sugar BUT avocado is a healthy fat. The cookie is soft and chewy and on my tried and true list to make again.
Recipe is from the California Avocado site. I had a few extra avocados and I wanted to give it a try. The Chocolate Peanut Butter Avocado Pudding was very popular, I hope people like this also.
Wanted to mention that the cookies has a slight green color. Might be something special to make someone for St. Patrick's Day!
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour ( you can use 1 1/4 cup whole wheat flour and 1 cup all purpose flour)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup finely mashed avocado from one avocado
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup light brown sugar
12 ounce bag of chocolate chips
1/2 cup white sugar
2 egg yolks
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Prepare two cookie sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
3. In a medium size bowl whisk flour, baking soda and salt
4. Add butter and mashed avocado to the bowl of an electric mixer and beat until smooth and creamy. Add the white and brown sugars and mix until thoroughly combined.
5. Slowly add the flour mixture to the avocado/butter mixture. Mix on low ( you don't want the flour flying all over the counter) until all the flour is incorporated into the mix.
6. Stir in the chocolate chips.
7. Using a small cookie scoop*, scoop up the dough and place two inches apart on prepared cookie sheet.
8. Bake 14- 16 minutes until golden brown.
9. Remove from oven.
10. Place cookies on rack to cool.
* I used a 1 1/2 tablespoon scoop. As you can tell by the photo I did not flatten the dough.
Featured 3/11/16 The Pinterest Game