Saturday, October 17, 2015

KUNG PAO CAULIFLOWER




 Two heads of cauliflower for 2.00! I could of done a happy dance in the store ( smile).

 Come on, how could I resist? Someone standing next to me said this is an awful time to put it on sale. WHAT!  Think outside the box and you can make so many great things.

This recipe is from Eat Good 4 Life. It's easy and I'll be picking up more cauliflower for sure.

Ingredients:

1 small head cauliflower - cut into florets

1 14 ounce bag frozen pepper stir fry

1 tsp. fresh ginger- minced

2 cloves garlic- minced

5 scallions- cut into  2 inch lengths*

1/3 cup dry roasted peanuts

2 tablespoon olive oil

2 cups cauliflower rice ( or you can use any type of Chinese noodles- cook as directed on the package. I love cauliflower rice)

for the sauce **

2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar

2 tablespoons ketchup

3 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce

2 tablespoons sugar

1/4 cup water

3 teaspoons cornstarch


Directions:

In a large non-stick skillet, add the olive oil in the skillet and heat over medium to high heat. Add the cauliflower, and cook stirring occasionally for 5 minutes until the cauliflower is crisp-tender. Don't  cook it thoroughly, as you will add it later on with the other veggies. Remove cauliflower from the skillet, place  onto a large plate and set aside.

Open the bag of  pepper stir fry and cook as directed on the package. Once the stir fry is cooked add to the skillet that you cooked the cauliflower in. 

Add the cauliflower to the pepper stir fry and cook for another 3-5 minutes. You do not want the cauliflower to get mushy.

Combine all of the sauce ingredients in a small bowl,whisking them until combined. 

Add the sauce to the skillet and cook for 1 minute over high heat or until thickened. Add the green onions and serve over cauliflower rice while still warm.

Note about the cauliflower rice-  I microwave the cauliflower rice in a heatproof bowl, covered with cling film, for three minutes on high. 

* When we returned to Long Island I purchased green onions. When I cut the green I always do THIS. Gabe didn't want the onions sitting on the counter so I planted them in a pot outside. They are doing really well and I didn't have to buy any until I got back to Florida.

Did you know green onions and scallions are actually the same thing! They are either harvested very young from the regular bulb-forming onions we are familiar with, or they can come from other varieties that actually never form bulbs.

** I have learned to always make more sauce so I doubled the recipe. 

This is excellent. Healthy, tasty and a winner in my recipe collection. You can use fresh peppers instead of frozen and a nut of your choice.

Featured 10/25/15 on Anything Goes

Featured 10/28/15 on Ivy and Elephants





66 comments:

  1. This looks so good. I love your idea of making extra sauce, with the type of sauce in this recipe, I would have been in my glory.
    Sounds like this would be a hit

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember making this-it's SO good. Thanks for the reminder Linda-I need to make this one again when I hit a good sale on cauliflower. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe it was a bad time for that person, but not for you. You hit gold with that sale. This looks so yummy. Extra sauce is always a good idea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cyndy- you gotta think outside the box and not just make one thing one way forever!

      Delete
  4. Well I know what I am sending Larry to the store for today..This looks so good and I love Cauliflower..

    ReplyDelete
  5. mmm this looks awesome! What tasty way to enjoy a meatless meal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and it's so good!

      Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  6. Surprisingly for me, cauliflower has become one of my favorite vegetables. Can't wait to try this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been mine for awhile and always looking for new recipes! Come back, I know I'll be making something different soon.

      Delete
  7. Oh I'm going to definitely try this! I haven't many recipes that show different ways to cook cauliflower so this is also a healthy substitute for rice. Thanks for linking Linda and sharing with us at #AnythingGoes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue,

      Hope you enjoy it,

      Come back and let me know what you thought.

      Delete
  8. This looks delicious. I'm not sure I can get my cauliflower-hating husband to try it though. It may have to wait until he's out of town :-).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie

      My DH will not eat it. He's a meat and potatoes man. I make it for me and enjoy every bite.

      After all, a girl's gotta make herself happy!

      Delete
  9. I love cauliflower and this looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I totally pinned this! :) It sounds delicious!

    Thanks for joining Cooking and Crafting with J & J!

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW Linda this cauliflower recipe looks amazing.
    Thanks for sharing this at Cooking and Crafting with J & J.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julie- this is SO good! Hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

      Hugs,
      Linda

      Delete
  12. We love Kung Pao! Would not have thought to add cauliflower, but looks yummy! Thanks for sharing the recipe with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jann,

      I'll be back next week to post at SYC! Thanks for hosting.

      hugs,
      linda

      Delete
  13. Replies
    1. It's so good, hope you like it also.

      Linda

      Delete
  14. 2 for 2 is an awesome deal. I love cauliflower too. Your recipe sounds really delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iryna.

      I visited your blog and wow do you have wonderful pumpkin recipes! I need to go back later and pin more. I could spend most of the day pinning.

      Delete
  15. Love cauliflower and a new way to use it! Thanks for sharing at #WednesdaysWisdom

    ReplyDelete
  16. Being a vegetarian I have never h kung pao anything, but this looks good I'll have to try it. And $2 for two cauliflower?? I would be doing a happy dance to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I would of gotten more but hubby does not eat it and the fridge was full otherwise I would of picked up more,

      Delete
  17. Yum! What a great idea! Cauliflower is such a versatile veggie! I made a Parmesan Garlic Mashed Cauliflower today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks sounds so good, I'll be over to pin it !

      Delete
  18. Yum, this looks so good! Thanks for sharing at Merry Monday, hope to see you again next week!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Looks yummy! Thanks for sharing on the Healthy Living Link Party.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a great dinner idea your you have with the Kung Poa Cauliflower, I'm looking forward to trying it. Thank you for sharing with the Clever Chicks Blog Hop! I hope you’ll join us again next week!

    Cheers,
    Kathy Shea Mormino
    The Chicken Chick
    http://www.The-Chicken-Chick.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love cauliflower and this sounds delicious and healthy. I wonder how it would taste with chicken added. Thanks for sharing on Sunday's Best linkup. Glad to see you back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure! I bet the chicken would be wonderful in it. Let me know how it comes out ok?

      hugs,
      linda

      Delete
  22. What a great deal on cauliflower - and I love what you've done with it! Your Kung Pao Cauliflower looks and sounds so tasty. Thank you for sharing it with us at the Hearth and Soul Hop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't resist such a great deal! If I had more room in the fridge I would of gotten more.

      Thanks for stopping by and hosting.

      Delete
  23. This looks so good to have for a vegetable. Thanks for sharing and for linking up with us this week. Leigh

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a great dish, we will love this. Thanks so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and have a great weekend!
    Come Back Soon,
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Miz Helen,

      This is really good! It's a keeper .

      See you next week at the party.

      Delete
  25. I love Kung Pao chicken this is a healthier version!! Love! Thanks for sharing on My 2 favorite Things on Thursday - link Party! Hope to see you again this week! Pinned!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow, what a great recipe! Thanks for sharing at My Flagstaff Home!

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  27. Linda, I hurriedly overlooked this post when it came in my email, but on second glance via feature through Ivy & Elephants, I think I would like this - a LOT! I should know better - I love vegetables, and you always share tried-and-true, so I've come to trust your judgment. Thanks for sharing another great one.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rita,

      Thanks so much for stopping by. Every recipe I add is a winner in my book. I never add a recipe that I know I would not make again. This one I made a few times and love it.

      I hope you enjoy it also.

      Hugs,
      Linda

      Delete
  28. That looks delicious! Thanks for joining Home Sweet Home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so good and healthy!

      Thanks for stopping by

      Delete
  29. Yum, Yum, Yum! Thanks for sharing at Five Star Frou-Frou. Will you join me again this week? Mimi xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was there bright and early sweet Mimi!

      Hugs,
      Linda

      Delete
  30. Looks like a great recipe! Thanks for sharing with us on Five Friday Finds. :) Hubby likes Kung Pao, so I'm thinking I might surprise him with this. Is pepper stir fry just chopped up peppers or does it also have other things in it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bag I bought just had three different color peppers.Hope you enjoy it.

      Hugs,
      Linda

      Delete
  31. This looks delicious!! Thanks for sharing on my bohemian blog hop!

    ReplyDelete