Friday, February 8, 2013

Smoky Sweet Potato Soup

I adapted this recipe, and as you will see I changed quite a few things.

 Since this came out so good, I will inform  you  that I will not be buying Traders Joe's Sweet Potato Bisque again! This soup is EXCELLENT!

I omitted quite a few things. The first was the sea salt, I don't use salt. The second was the liquid amino's, which Winn- Dixie does have but did not buy. I have liquid smoke back in NY but I hardly use it and did not want to buy something that I know I'm not going to use.


1 1/2 c   Chopped Red Onion( I had 1 medium onion,which I chopped )

2 cups Chopped Carrots( I love organic carrots and try to use them in all my recipes)

4 cups Chopped Sweet potatoes( I had 3 sweet potatoes which I added and did not measure. Chopped  and added)

Whole 4  Cloves of Garlic( minced the garlic)

1 1/2.Tbsp olive oil( when the carrots, sweet potato, onion, garlic were on the pan I sprayed with olive oil)

Smoked 1/3.tsp Sea salt( didn't use)

1/4.tsp Black pepper( used the pepper mill and did a few turns)

3 cups Vegetable broth( used chicken broth, homemade)

1 cup water ( didn't use, added more broth)

1 tbsp.Braggs Liquid Amino's ( didn't add)

1Tbsp.Maple syrup( didn't add)

1/2.Tbsp Liquid Smoke( didn't add)

Dried1tsp. Cilantro( added  1 Tbsp)

1/2tsp.Smoked paprika( added a pinch)

Flakes1/4.tsp Chipotle Pepper( I substituted chili garlic paste for the chipotle and cayenne)

1/8tsp,cayenne pepper( Didn't use)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

I peeled the carrots and sweet potato and placed them on  a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. I also cut up the onion which I added to the carrot/sweet potatoes. I minced the garlic and dabbed it over the above.I then took my can of Pam and sprayed the vegetable mixture,gave them a toss and sprayed again.

Place the sweet potatoes/carrots/onion/garlic in a single layer and bake for 30 mins. or  until the sweet potatoes/carrots are soft and brown.

I added my broth to the pot, and when the vegetables were done into the pot they went. I let it simmer for about 15 minutes and used my  immersion blender to puree the soup or blend a little at a time if you are going to use a food processor.
When it was to a consistency I wanted I added the black pepper,cilantro, and the chili garlic sauce. I like spicy so I added about 1 tbsp of the garlic sauce.






 

2 comments:

  1. This looks so good. I love sweet potatoes, so I might just have to try this one. Your pictures are so professional looking...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This soup is full of nutritious ingredients and looks delicious! Like Myra, I also love sweet potatoes. ~Aurora

    ReplyDelete