Wednesday, May 9, 2018
Spicy Cauliflower Burgers
Kathy sent this to me
Ingredients for the Cauliflower Burgers
3/4 cup uncooked quinoa
1 head cauliflower (about 6 cups florets)
3-4 Tbsp. oil, divided
a few generous shakes of spicy seasoning – cumin, chili powder, cayenne, etc.
1/2 tsp. garlic salt OR just a minced garlic clove or two
3/4 cup breadcrumbs or ground almonds
3/4 cup shredded Pepper Jack cheese
3 eggs or egg whites
1 1/2 tsp. sea salt
a few good squeezes of lime juice
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
1/2 cup chopped purple cabbage
magic green sauce (made w/avocado, cilantro, parsley, garlic, lime, etc.)--recipe on her website
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cook quinoa according to package directions. Use 1 cup broth or water to keep it from getting too heavy.
2. Cut cauliflower into florets, transfer to baking sheet, drizzle w/ 1 tablespoon oil & sprinkle w/spices to taste. Roast for 20-30 minutes. Let cool. Pulse through food processor to form small pieces that stick together. We Don’t want PUREE here, but Do Want enough Mushiness to help it all stick together.
3. Combine cooked, pulsed cauliflower w/quinoa, garlic salt, breadcrumbs, Pepper Jack cheese, eggs, salt, & 1 to 2 more tsp. spicy seasoning. (Cayenne will make it HOT-spicy, so just add a few shakes of it). Form 10 patties.
4. In oiled or nonstick pan over medium heat, cook burgers until golden brown on each side, flipping very carefully to avoid breaking. Set aside on paper towel lined plate.
5. Toss lime juice, cilantro, cabbage, & a quick stream of oil together. Season to taste with sea salt.
6. Arrange burgers w/magic green sauce, cauliflower burger, slaw, & chipotle mayo on top. YUM!!
Rita and Dorothy with bubble tea and cauliflower burgers.