Friday, June 29, 2012

Strawberry Muffin Tops

Thanks to my wonderful son who sent me the pan I was looking for that I could not find in our area, I was able to make these. My orginal idea was to bake blueberry muffin tops, which I still plan to do but I was given some strawberries and I wanted to use them up.

I found this recipe on The Country Cook Blog. She has lots of recipes and this one looked good. I did make a very small loaf of the bread which I want to give to our mailman today.

The only thing I changed in the recipe -I used vanilla yogurt in place of sour cream and it worked out well. I did add a tad of vanilla also.

An idea I had with the strawberry tops- this would be a great base for a strawberry shortcake! Add your berries and some whipped cream and you have a tasty treat.

1/2 C unsalted butter
3/4 C white sugar
3 large eggs
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
2 C AP flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp.baking soda
1/4 tsp.salt
1 tsp.ground cinnamon
1/2 C sour cream (or plain yogurt)
1/2 C walnuts or pecans, coarsely chopped (optional)
1 1/2 C chopped fresh strawberries

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place pan on middle rack. Since I didn't make a loaf and had my new muffin top pan, I greased the bottom of it with butter.Didn't flour bottom.

1-Beat butter until softened. Add sugar and continue to beat until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time ( Hint- I always have the eggs come to room temp before using them) beating well after each one is added.Add vanilla extract. Scrape down sides if needed.

2- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and ground cinnamon ( I prefer Saigon cinnamon).

3- Mix on low, add flour mixture ( in 3 additions) and sour cream ( I used the vanilla yogurt-2 additions) alternately,starting and ending with the flour. Mix only until combined.

4- Gently fold in chopped strawberries and walnuts.

5- I baked them about 18-20 min. Please note- each oven is different. If I make this in Florida the oven is hotter and will bake these faster

 









2 comments:

  1. Love muffin tops.....these look so good. Wonder if you could make choc chip instead of strawberry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These muffins tops look so delicious... I need to invest in a muffin top pan. Luckily the Wilton store isn't too far from me. Myra, chocolate chips would probably be great for this recipe. ~Aurora

    ReplyDelete