Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Mosquito Bites

When we were in Florida I saw HUGE mosquitoes and made sure to squash them or make sure I got out of their way. Mosquitoes love me. They seem to know when I'm around and I end up with bites.
Now that we are back home it's going to be interesting because of the mild winter the ticks are abundant and sure the mosquitoes will be looking for me this summer.
Here are some tips I found on here
  1. Rub a bar of soap over the itch. I just tried this (Ivory soap) and the relief was near instant. I used a dry bar of soap directly on the skin, but I also have notes that you can spritz bite with water and then run bar of soap over area–or use a wet bar of soap.
  2. Place a piece of scotch tape on the bite; or dab rubbing alcohol or ammonia on the area first then stick on a piece of tape.
  3. Hot water: Take a hot shower, or a hot bath, or apply a hot compress. As hot as you can stand it without burning you.( I've done this and it works)
  4. Ice cube, ice pack or very cold water ( this works also)
This page has lots of recipes for homemade mosquito repellents. Since I like garlic will have to eat more!
Mosquitoes hate garlic and so when I saw this recipe in a magazine a few years ago I clipped it, tried it and found that it did a good job keeping me bite free.
Directions: Mince a few cloves of garlic then cover with mineral oil. Allow it to sit for at least 24 hours. Next you take a teaspoon of *just the oil* and mix it with 2 cups of water and 1 teaspoon of freshly squeezed lemon juice. Strain through a cheesecloth if you have any floaties then pour into a spray bottle. Shake before each use.
Another good one is
Avon Skin So Soft
Rubbing Alcohol
solution is 50/50
Some use spray bottle with Listerine (or equivalent) in it.
You can also to keep away Mosquitos and most bugs are dryer sheets. Tuck one in your belt but rub it on your arms and legs first. Works better than anything out there. Also great to put in tents and campers when camping.Not that I camp but for those who do.


1 comment:

  1. I MUST SAVE THIS ONE TO MY BRAIN!! Those pesky mosquito bugs LOVE me also, and I swell up so bad when I get bit. This is the reason I don't sit out long at night. Skin so Soft works, but it is greasy at times. Thanks for this blog, I will hopefully not get bit too much this year, but I won't count on it.

    ReplyDelete