Wednesday, June 12, 2019
FRENCH ONION CHICKEN CASSEROLE
3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 or 2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 teaspoon dried oregano
Red crushed chili pepper flakes, optional
Pinch of salt and fresh cracked pepper
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (or Gruyere)
2 to 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
5 large onions, thinly sliced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 to 1/2 cup chicken broth
Fresh chopped parsley, for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 400°F . Spray a 9×12-inch baking dish and set aside.
2. Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions, add salt and pepper. Cook for 5-8 minutes until soft.
3. Reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are caramelized – about 15 minutes. Pour in 1/4 cup of broth to deglaze if your pan gets too dry, and keep stirring until onions are browned.
4. Stir in fresh minced garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
5. Season chicken breasts with oregano, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Arrange chicken breasts in the baking dish.
6. Divide caramelized onions on top of each chicken breast. Sprinkle shredded cheese on top and bake for 20-25 minutes in the oven, until fully cooked and cheese is bubbly. Then broil for 2 minutes to crisp up the cheese.