Friday, August 10, 2018

Retro Eastern Star Chops & Rice ( 1960's)




 Here's a recipe from an Eastern Star cookbook which was purchased around 1960. 

This recipe was saved many years ago and finally getting around to making it.

Rice and Chops

6 lean pork chops

salted flour ( 3 to 4 tablespoons of flour, 1 teaspoon salt- mix together)

cooking oil ( used canola but use any oil you prefer)

2 large onion slices

3  pepper slices ( doesn't matter what color pepper you use)

1 c. uncooked rice ( if you use 1 cup rice - use 2 cups of water. I used 1/2 cup rice to 1 1/2 cups of water which I included the liquid from the stewed tomatoes. The liquid from the stewed tomatoes came to about 1/2 cup then added addition 1 cup of water )

1 t. salt ( didn't add)

1 can stewed tomatoes -recipe does not state the size-I assume about 15 oz ( I drained the tomatoes)

Directions:

Dust chops in flour, brown quickly in 1 to 2 tablespoons of oil over medium to high heat in a large frying pan.


Place slices of onion in dish. I sprinkled the rice on top of the onion and then added the liquid.

Add the browned chops on top of the onions and rice.

 Add sliced peppers on each chop.

 Pour tomatoes over chops.

 Bake. covered, at 350 for 1 hour.

2 comments:

  1. Will try this one. I just got some pork chops. Trying to find something new to go with Rice..Thank you Linda.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dottie- pork is always on sale down here so I buy it a lot. I'm not crazy about rice but this was pretty good. Hope you give it a try and like it!

      Hugs

      Delete