Monday, August 18, 2014

MM 108 Weeks

I wanted to take Max to the vet. His breath is nasty. It's not a secret that I worry and Max is only two years old and way to young to have really bad breath.

We have a wonderful vet in NY. Dr. Alterie is the BEST. I wish we could move him to Florida with us. He said Max has gingivitis. He said it's strange for a Lab as young as Max to have the disease but guess somewhere along the genetic line bad gums were passed along.

I now brush his teeth, which is so much fun and Dr. Altieri said to buy him a huge marrow bone. I picked one up in King Kullen on a saturday- which shows how much I love him. I HATE shopping on the weekend but I wanted to get the bones.

Our last Lab Rip loved bones but he couldn't eat them. He would get diarrhea. We would get fresh bones from the farmer when we bought a side of beef and he was in heaven when the  box of bones came home.

I gave him the bone and he looked at it and would not have any part of it! I was like- what is wrong  with this dog! He sniffed it but did not want any part of it.

Dawn to the rescue! We were talking and I talk her about Max and she said she baked the bones. WHAT? Now I have to bake for Max! Ok, in the oven they went.

I let it cool and you know who became interested- very interested. Once I gave it to him  there was no way he was giving it up.

Max discovers how great a good bone is!



14 comments:

  1. I had no idea that baking a bone would make it better.....we just learn something everyday!!! Sweet boy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! If Dawn didn't tell me Max would of never enjoyed his bone!

      Delete
  2. My neighbor used to give Chase leftover steak bones. He loved them, but once he got really sick from it, and now I don't give him any real bones. I am sure Max will be fine with them, but watch him for any signs of acting strange. I find if I give Chase the rope toys to play with, his teeth stay nice. My brother in law once said that Chase had great breath. I love this picture of Max. Glad that he loves the cooked bone.. Have fun brushing his teeth. LOL, what a great job. Max started my Monday off with a smile. T

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I asked the vet that. He said only to give him the huge knuckle bones. He said it would help clean his teeth.

      I have two more bones in the freezer for him- think he will like them?

      Delete
  3. Awwwwwwwwwwww he finally took a liking to the bone-and doesn't look like he wants to be too far from it. I love the expression on his face.

    I used to cook the bones but I'd just boil them.......never thought of baking them. That's a great idea Dawn.

    You're lucky he likes having his teeth brushed-our dogs HATED it. Only one had the gum problem here-and they both ate the same things. Yup-somewhere in the genes...... Glad that's all it is with Max and keeping his teeth clean will solve that "Doggy Halitosis" problem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol- I was gonna bake him dog "cookies" with parsley. Bones are so much easier!

      Delete
  4. Oh yeah, baking not only kills the bacteria in the bone marrow but it also brings intensifies the flavor. Think of roasting bones before you make stock. Our girls love it but they don't get bones anymore after one of our dogs came down with pancreatitis. yep, the genes have a lot to do with this stuff. I bet Max is loving his treat. I used to try and brush the dogs teeth, but it became a chore because they just wanted to eat the toothpaste. it was peanut butter flavor and I'm allergic. Have you seen what it cost to have their teeth cleaned? it's outrageous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, he is going to have them cleaned before we leave for Florida. Will find out then how much it is.

      We both agree we feel comfortable with our vet cleaning his teeth ( we know he won't actually clean them- I bet a tech will do it) then someone we don't know down there.

      After he gets his teeth clean the brushing and the bones should help ( I hope).

      Delete
  5. We brush our cats Louies teeth, he loves it, I think it must feel good on his gums. Glad you found a way for Max to enjoy his bones. Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  6. My girl doesn't even chew on a small milk bone. Only if I broke it up. Happy Max is enjoying his bone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dottie- lots of dogs are like that! We carry cookies with us all the time and some dogs won't even take one! They only like certain brands! LOL

      Delete
  7. Sweet Max! Definitely like a child who needs help with teeth brushing. You look after Max so well and he loves you back as only Max can. Lucky you and lucky Max.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes he's spoiled and we love him. I have no grandchildren and when everyone else talks about how great it is to been around them we know we are lucky to have Max.

      Delete