Thursday, August 22, 2013

Peach/Mango/Jalapeno Chutney



Best Yet, my favorite grocery store in Riverhead had peaches on sale for 88 cents a pound.  No local peaches to pick in my area.

Gabe was on the boat and weather cooperated  and I decided to try this recipe from Just A Pinch recipes.

4 cups peaches- skin removed,diced and remove pit.
                          to remove skin blanch them. Bring a pot of water to a low simmer. Gently lower the peaches into the water. If the peaches are ripe, it just takes a minute- you DON'T want to cook the peaches! You know they are done if you drag gently on the skin, it quickly pulls away. Plunge immediately into iced water bath to cool and stop the cooking process. Skins will come off very easily
1 mango- skin removed, diced and discard pit 
                           easy way to cut a mango-CHECK THIS OUT
4 Jalapeno Peppers- seeds and membrane removed and diced
                            I left some seeds in. I wanted it to be spicy.
1 large onion- Diced
2 tablespoon fresh ginger root-finely chopped
1 package sure jell for fruits and veggies
1/2 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon salt-didn't use salt or pepper
pinch of pepper 

If you have not canned before please watch this video

1-Wash canning jars.The jars are always run in the dishwasher before I put them away, but I wash them before I add them to a large pot of boiling water. 

2- Wash and dry then dice your fruit.

3- Add the peaches and remaining ingredients to a medium pot and bring to a simmer and let it simmer for 10 minutes till the onions have softened. Let it simmer again ( NOT boil- nice slow simmer), make sure it's uncovered and simmer it for 40 minutes, stir until thick and translucent.

When the chutney is done, place a jar that has been removed from the boiling water next to the pot.  Make sure no water is left in the jar  then fill the jar with the hot chutney.  To process follow this LINK  if you have never done any canning .

Loved the taste of this. Somewhat hot but still get some of the sweetness from the peaches.

* Be very careful handing the hot jars. Use a jar lifter. 


3 comments:

  1. Oh boy does that look good. A great side for crackers but I bet it would be super with chicken too huh?

    Thanks Linda!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tho I am strange and don't eat mango or peaches, this looks so yummy. I know I am a strange food eater, but it doesn't stop me from appreciating all the yummy foods that Linda makes and posts on here. My whole family ate everything, but I was the one who sat out while others feasted. Keep them coming Linda, one of these days, I might even try something different.

    Good morning Carol and all others to come...this has been a hectic week for me, but slowly it is improving.


    Hugs to all, Myra

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum, this looks delicious and I may have to give this one a go too. reminds me, I have to make the habanero gold jam again. I love peaches

    Thanks Linda

    ReplyDelete