Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Cucumber Cilantro Salad

I have a few cilantro planted in a large pot on the deck along with parsley and a tomato plant. I also have Vietnamese coriander, which I found at Halsey's Holly Hill Greenhouse when I helped Mary get annuals for her yard. Mary  has a herb garden and wanted me to pick out what she needed to plant this season.  While selecting the little herbs I found  Vietnamese coriander . I added it to the collection of herbs and suggested that she try it. The lady checking us out said  Vietnamese coriander grows huge and does not go to seed like the cilantro she usually buys so into the garden it went.

I went back to Holly Hill and picked up the last pot of  Vietnamese coriander. Guess the little plant knew I would give it a good home and maybe it wanted to do a road trip to Florida with us.

 I used the vietnamese coriander in place of the cilantro just to try it out and it was perfect in this dish. 

The recipe is from A Week Of Menus, which I found on pinterest. I adapted it because I didn't have Korean chili powder (gochu gahloo).When I go back to Florida will have to pick up a jar in one of the Asian markets in Gainesville.

2 cups chopped cucumber (  removed the seeds)
1 cup chopped Cilantro ( used vietnamese coriander )

Dressing

1 tablespoon soy ( used light)
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1 tablespoon Rice Wine Vinegar
1 tablespoon Korean chili powder or crushed chili pepper flakes ( I used the garlic- chili sauce-the one with the Roster on it)
1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds

Mix all ingredients together except toasted sesame seeds which I added last

Pour sauce over the cucumber and cilantro

Toss gently and refrigerate.



3 comments:

  1. What a great looking salad.........that will work when I get a bunch of cucumbers in all at once...........wonder if THAT will ever happen? I do love my cilantro too.

    So you used the chili garlic sauce in place of the chili powder-same amount, right?

    Thanks Linda! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Carol, love the chili garlic sauce. One of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Didn't get on yesterday.....This recipe looks so good. I do love cilantro. Garlic is a big favorite of mine, and since no one is here but Chase, I can eat to my heart's content. This summer is bad for some of the veggies here. Guess the heat is not a good buddy of theirs either. Gonna keep this recipe at hand.

    ReplyDelete