Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Sweet Potato, Black Bean and Quinoa Cakes

I made a huge pot of red beans and rice for Gabe and had a bowl the first night but then Gabe had his red beans to himself.

While he was on the boat I made THESE. Adapted the recipe and loved them! Didn't need a topping, they were so good on their own.

2 large sweet potatoes

6 oz. canned black beans, rinsed and drained

1/2 cup rinsed quinoa- I used red quinoa from Traders Joe's

1/4 cup seasoned breadcrumbs - used 4C spicy hot chipotle panko breadcrumbs

1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese - used Kraft parmesan

2 cloves diced garlic

1/4 cup diced walnuts- didn't add

1/2 tsp. dried rosemary-didn't add

1/2 tsp. ground cumin

1/2 tsp. ground black pepper

1/4 tsp. salt- didn't add

2 tablespoon butter

1/4 cup milk

Topping-

1/3 cup sour cream

1 tablespoon Dijon mustard

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line cookie sheet with parchment paper.

Wash and scrub the sweet potatoes. Dry and prick the skin with a fork or knife to make little holes to help release pressure so when you cook them in the microwave they don't explode and you have a huge mess to clean up. You could cook the sweet potatoes in the oven but the microwave was 5 mins for each one.

When both potatoes are cooked, scoop out and add to a deep bowl.

Add the butter and milk, cumin, pepper to the hot sweet potatoes that are in the bowl. I used an old fashion potato masher to mix it up.

I added the quinoa which was cooked in 1 cup of water. I boiled the water added the quinoa cooked it on a low simmer for about 15-20 minutes and stir. You know it is done when it  has "popped". I fluffed it and let it cool before I added to the sweet potato mixture.

Added the drained black beans to the sweet potato mixture and the cooled quinoa. Then added the parm, garlic and breadcrumbs. You might want to add more breadcrumbs to thicken it.

Make your little cakes and place them on the cookie sheet lined with parchment. I sprayed the parchment with pam. Used about a tablespoon of the sweet potato mixture to make a cake.

Cook 15 minutes on one side them flip and another 15 for the other side for an even tan.

I didn't make the topping. Didn't have sour cream and knew I could use my Greek yogurt but want it for breakfast the next day. No topping but these are so good they didn't need it.














13 comments:

  1. Now this is something I would LOVE Linda........Bob wouldn't because he doesn't like sweet potatoes. Hmmmmmmmmm-all the more for me-and that's not a bad thing.

    I love that photo too.........gee-how do you think these would freeze? Cook them up, them freeze individually to pop one out and reheat in the microwave or warm in the oven? Maybe?

    Thanks so much for the recipe! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look so yummy. Going to have to save this one. One of these days, when my head is screwed back on right, I am going to try them. Love Sweet potatoes, the the rest of the ingredients sound like my sorta thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carol and Myra, this is a five star recipe. I'll be making this again VERY soon. The 4C spicy panko bread crumbs were the perfect addition.

    Dottie- I know Larry would like it if you used the spicy bread crumbs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gm Everyone. I love these little cakes. It does look like a 5 star. Nice little treats perfectly cooked.

    Those bread crumbs are wonderful. Great crunch and a nice blend of flavors.
    Thanks J/j

    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  5. These veggie patties look amazing, I just love this combination, please save me one! Happy St. Patrick's Day and thank you so much for sharing your awesome post with Full Plate Thursday. Have a great week and come back soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks yummy! Thanks for sharing on the Healthy Living Link Party.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great idea! I love these ingredients!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So did I!!!They were really good.

      Thanks for stopping by

      Delete
  8. These look so good! I bet they freeze well too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure about freezing them. The ones I made were gone in one meal. The next time I make them I'll freeze a few.

      Thanks for stoppping by.

      Delete
  9. I so appreciate you sharing your post at the #AnythingGoes Link Party. I'm looking forward to what you'll share with us next week.

    ReplyDelete