Thursday, May 16, 2013

300 Calorie Oatmeal

Two of my favorites-oatmeal and eggs whites! Great way to start the day.

Recipe adapted from Can you stay for dinner


2/3 cup old fashion oatmeal ( Used Irish Oatmeal)
1 1/3 cup water
4 egg whites, beat until nice and frothy
1/2 Tbl. salted butter(didn't add)
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract

Combine oats and water and cook until it comes to a simmer. Stir and reduce the heat and cook additional 5 mins. Make sure the oats absorb most of the water.
Stir in the egg whites and the vanilla and make sure it is well blended. Stir in the butter.
Cook additional 5 mins, remove from heat and let oatmeal "rest" covered for another 5 minutes.
Serve.
I added a bit of honey to mine- delicious!

3 comments:

  1. I love oatmeal too-and never in my wildest dreams would have thought of adding egg whites to it.

    I have those recipes that use only egg yolks and I stress about what to do with the leftover egg whites, cause I sure as shootin' won't throw them away. Problem solved...

    Thanks Linda! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Linda! I will be trying this, likely tomorrow. I'm trying to find something fairly calorie light and nourishing. This sounds like it would do a great job keeping me going to the next meal. Could add one or more lite add-ins like a few raisins, dried appricots or driend cranberries.

    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angela- did you like it? I need to make this again. It's a good recipe.

      Delete