Friday, February 22, 2013

4 Avocado Recipes!

I usually don't buy avocados.  Winn- Dixie had them for 77 cents each. I'm such a sucker for sales and I picked up a few. I also picked up a bag of grapefruit on sale the week before for 2.50 and wondered if there was something different I could do with them.

Thanks to Marc from Nu Recipes I found This

This is the first of the recipes I adapted.

Grapefruit Guacamole
 
1/4 small red onion minced
1 grapefruit each segment peeled
2 avocados make sure they're ripe, roughly chopped( I used one)
2 tablespoons cilantro minced ( I used 3 tablespoons)
1 teaspoon salt( Didn't use)
hotsauce to taste( I love Chili Garlic Sauce by Huy Fong Foods- which I seasoned to taste)

I added the minced onion to my one chooped avocado. Added my cilantro and Chili Garlic Sauce to taste. To that I added the segmented grapefruit. Mixed and enjoyed every bite!




The next recipe is from my cousin. She was so sweet to share this with me.



Avacado Hummus
1 can of Chick Peas, drained and rinsed
1 avocado, cubed
juice from 1/2 of a lime
1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon of olive oil (a lower fat option: substitute oil for juice from the beans)(didn't use any oil)
1/2 teaspoon sea salt( didn't use any salt)
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper( added 1 TB. Chili Garlic Sauce)
Add everything to the cuisinart and pulse.
Chick peas are one of my favorites and with the avocado, a great healthy treat.


The next recipe is

Guacamole Deviled Eggs

6 hard boiled eggs ( I used three)

1 avocado

3/4 Tbs. red or white onion ( used a red onion)

Cilantro to taste

Lime juice to taste

Sprinkle of garlic powder or finely minced garlic (didn't add)

My addition was a few shakes of Tony Chachere's

Peel the boiled eggs, cut in half and take the yokes out.

The recipe called to add the yokes but I didn't. I tossed them and combined the avocado,onion,cilantro,lime and Tony Chachere's.

Add to the egg white halves and you have a tasty healthy treat.

recipe adapted from here






Mango and Avocado- a match made in heaven! This was so good!

Mango Guacamole

 



recipe adapted from Here


 


1 teaspoon olive oil ( used olive oil spray)
1 whole jalapeño pepper
1/2 mango, pitted, peeled and diced
1/2 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro ( added 1 Tble. cilantro)
1/2 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1-1/2 tablespoons finely minced onion
2 avocados, halved, pitted, peeled and mashed
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper(didn't add salt)
Assorted raw vegetables or pita chips for dipping

Heat the olive oil in a small pan. Add the whole jalapeño and cook,  until the skin is blistered . Cool, then toss the stem end and finely chop the pepper. (If you want less heat, remove the seeds too.)

Place the chopped jalapeños in a medium bowl. Add the mango, cilantro, lime juice and onion. Stir in the avocado. Season with salt and pepper, then serve with raw vegetables or pita chips.






2 comments:

  1. Tho I don't eat avocado, these recipes look very tasty. Gabe is a lucky guy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love avocados. Thank you for the great variety of avocado recipes. ~Aurora

    ReplyDelete