Friday, January 4, 2013

Good Luck Black-eyed Pea Patties with Moamback Sauce

I'm always on the lookout for a black-eyed pea recipe to make on New Years. Who doesn't need some added luck. I found a few recipes and decided to try this one.

If I made this years ago when I was a vegetarian I probably would of loved it. I ate my share of veggie burgers and as a veggie burger it would be pretty good. One thing about it, in my opinion it does not stand well on it's own.

The night I made it Gregory and I were both cooking in the kitchen. I should of made the sauce to go with it but to many cooks in the kitchen, so I forgot about it.

I knew Divingabe and Gregory might try it but Gregory made so much food that there really wasn't room for something as filling as a black-eyed pea pattie.

The recipe made up 9 large patties. Plenty for leftovers and to experiment with. I added pineapple salsa on one, Depo's jalapeno relish on another. It also made sort of a pizza base. I added tomato sauce and mozzarella to it and you know what- it was really good!

It comes down to the sauce or whatever topping you want to add. This has plenty of fiber and is a healthy meal.

2 slices bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 clove garlic, minced
1 pound fresh black-eyed peas
1/2 cup green onions, minced
1/4 cup celery, minced
1/2 cup red bell pepper, finely chopped
1 tablespoon parsley, finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon sage (didn't add)
1 teaspoon poultry seasoning (didn't add)
Dash cayenne or to taste
1-1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 cup half and half
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 large egg
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 cups bread crumbs
1 cup corn meal
4 tablespoons butter
4 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon poultry seasoning for flour



Moamback Sauce
1/2 cup ketchup
1/4 cup salad oil
1/2 cup orange marmalade
1/2 cup Duke’s® mayonnaise
1/4 cup whole grain or Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon onion powder
Dash garlic powder
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon chives, chopped (optional)


2 tablespoons honey
  1. In a large pot over medium heat, cook the bacon until crisp. Add peas and enough water to cover by 2 inches. Simmer for 30 minutes, or until tender. Drain peas. Transfer half the peas to a large bowl, and mash them coarsely. Add the remaining peas, minced garlic, onion, peppers, parsley, basil, cayenne, salt and cream. Mix well. Refrigerate at least 1 hour. With damp hands, form the mixture into 12 patties, about 3/4-inch thick. Set aside.
  2. Mix egg and buttermilk and put in bowl. Put flour mixed with poultry seasoning, salt and pepper to taste in another bowl. Put bread crumbs and corn meal in another bowl and mix. Coat each pea patty with flour, then dip into egg mixture and then into the bread crumb mixture. Gently press crumbs on patty. Set them aside when finished. In a skillet over medium heat, heat butter and olive oil. Working in batches, fry the patties for 3 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Place them on paper towels to drain and cool. Serve the cakes with Tomato Marmalade or Moamback Sauce.
  3. Combine all the ingredients and whisk until smooth. Refrigerate before serving. Sprinkle with paprika before serving if you like.
 

1 comment:

  1. The patties look very tasty, tho I don't eat much of those kinds of foods. The sauce however, is looking like something I would like on other things, going to try this one. I love using orange marmalade in recipes, and this one sounds good.

    ReplyDelete