Thursday, September 27, 2012

Onion Fritters and Stuffed Peppers

I had a few bags of onions that I bought at a great price. Hoped that my friend Rita would have more jalapenos for me- she did.
Guess who's making jalapeno relish?

                                                    Last of the jalapenos
 I went to my TOHBB files and found this. It was orginally posted 2009 by Salsarose!

The finer you chop your onions the better they cook this batch made
about 12 patties these are just awesome.


Taste Just Like Onion Rings

3/4 cup flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon cornmeal
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons salt or less
3/4 milk
2-1/2 cups finely chopped onions


Directions:
2-1/2 cups finely chopped onions

Mix dry ingredients together; add milk.
Batter should be fairly thick. Add onions
and mix thoroughly. Drop by tablespoons
into 1/2 inch of oil in skillet.
Flatten slightly when you turn them.
Brown both sides till crisp.
I fried up a few and they just didn't have the kick we enjoy. I added some cajun spice ( Tony Chachere's)  and also added more cornmeal.


I had a few "onion fritters" leftover. Found a recipe on Pinterest for stuffed peppers. I adapted the recipe from Peanut Butter Fingers. Made a crockpot chicken early in the week and had plenty left so added the chicken to the stuffed peppers. The leftover onion fritters- light bulb moment- mix them into this recipe! In place of the onion I crumbled a few fritters. I also used a 1 whole egg.
This was an excellent recipe. Divingabe said it was a
make again. No photos of this. As soon as it came out of the oven it was gone!

1 lb. ground chicken
1 medium onion, chopped( used a few leftover onion fritters)
1/2 c chopped mushrooms ( 1 small can)

1 packet Knorr vegetable soup mix
1/2 c. marinara sauce ( 4-cheese marinara)
3 egg whites( 1 egg)
3/4 c. salsa ( didn't use because I spiced up the fritters)
2 – 4 large bell peppers

  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees
  2. Mix chicken through salsa in a bowl
  3. Cut off tops of peppers and remove the insides
  4. Fill peppers with chicken mixture and bake for 40 minutes to an hour, until chicken mixture is fully cooked
  5. Enjoy as is, or top with ketchup or hot sauce
  6. Note: You may cook any leftover chicken filling in a loaf pan and enjoy it as a chicken meatloaf.

2 comments:

  1. Rita's peppers look so nice. Guess you will be making a lot of the relish, and I know it won't last long. The onion fritters sound good. Looks a lot like potato pancakes which I love. Going to put this one on my list also. Never would have thought of putting them in stuffed peppers tho, you are so inventive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The onion fritters look delicious! I have enjoyed your fritter recipes and I look forward to trying this one. My meals have reached new limits with your recipes! Thanks. ~Dawn

    ReplyDelete